Old 22-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Nick Wagg

Default Importing from USA

Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from Nick Wagg contains these words:

PK wrote:

Same bureaucratic jobs worths who try to prevent importation of meat
products by similar means no doubt?

...and tried unsuccessfully to keep Japanese knotweed out of the UK.

?? IIRC JK was a deliberate introduction, as a gardenworthy plant.

I stand (well sit, actually) corrected.

PK is correct, the illegal import of meat is a serious concern since
it may carry farm animal diseases. In other countries, restrictions on
the accidental or deliberate movement of animal or plant material which
can cause environmental damage or infect food production are very tight
and for good reason.

I agree. My point was that far from being the task of a jobsworth,
policing of imports to filter out nasties is a job worth doing.

Given this country's experience of imported problems and their
devastating ecological and economic impact, we should take better care.

Quite.

However, as some have already posted, I also agree that some people
will always abuse what little power they have.
--
Nick Wagg