Old 22-10-2003, 05:02 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Mushrooms!

Hi,

I have been somewhat neglectful of the garden of late, but have noticed that
there are some mushrooms growing in the lawn.

The growth is pretty widespread, and I don't recall seeing anything like
this before.

If you go to http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~chelodge/Mushrooms/ you will
see five pictures.

So:

(1) Please don't shout at me because of the state of the lawn, I know it is
a mess!

(2) Any reason why (perhaps dryness) this season should see a widespread
growth of mushrooms? As they are mostly in lines I presume they are growing
along tree roots. The lawn hasn't been mown for months because with no rain
it hasn't been growing.

(3) Can anyone identify these mushrooms 100% accurately from the pictures? I
would like to know if they are an edible crop before zapping the lawn with
the mower. However I don't want to die prematurely.

Regards

Dave R