Old 22-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Jim W

Default Importing from USA

Tim Challenger "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote:

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:33:13 +0100, Jim W wrote:

David Hill wrote:

As long as what you are wanting is not growing in soil, and you are sure
that there is no way that it could be carrying pests or diseases, and it is
of a reasonably small size and light weight.then it sounds the sort of gift
that could be sent Swift Air or US equivalent, but I could not possibly
advise you to send plants that way.
But please think of the risk of introducing some foreign pest or disease
into this country........zxadsff

I am.. THat's why I asked!!

I just found this:

http://www.rhs.org.uk/research/c_and_e_abroad.pdf

in which it states: "Travellers from all other NON-EU countries: ... If you
wish to bring back more than these amounts you will require a phytosanitary
(ie plant health) certificates issued by ... the exporting country".

So basically, anything more than a bouquet, and five retail packets of
seeds (not potatoes) and you're going to be unlucky.

Oh well.. I will wait for USDA guy to come back from vacation and then
see how much they want to burn for a Phyto cert.. I seem to remember it
was a fair bit.. Ouch!

If its too much I will just have to wait till someone else does it.
//
Jim