Old 22-10-2003, 05:12 PM
Ophelia

Default Mushrooms!

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

I have been somewhat neglectful of the garden of late, but have noticed

that
there are some mushrooms growing in the lawn.

The growth is pretty widespread, and I don't recall seeing anything like
this before.

If you go to http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~chelodge/Mushrooms/ you will
see five pictures.

So:

(1) Please don't shout at me because of the state of the lawn, I know it

is
a mess!

I wouldn't dare

(2) Any reason why (perhaps dryness) this season should see a widespread
growth of mushrooms? As they are mostly in lines I presume they are

growing
along tree roots. The lawn hasn't been mown for months because with no

rain
it hasn't been growing.

I am sure someone better than me can advice you on that

(3) Can anyone identify these mushrooms 100% accurately from the pictures?

would like to know if they are an edible crop before zapping the lawn with
the mower. However I don't want to die prematurely.

They look like horse or just common mushrooms and although it is just a
picture they are showing nothing that would indicate them as non edible

I would cetainly eat one

Ophelia