Old 22-10-2003, 05:42 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Mushrooms!

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

I have been somewhat neglectful of the garden of late, but have noticed

that
there are some mushrooms growing in the lawn.

The growth is pretty widespread, and I don't recall seeing anything like
this before.

If you go to http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~chelodge/Mushrooms/ you will
see five pictures.

So:

(1) Please don't shout at me because of the state of the lawn, I know it

is
a mess!

(2) Any reason why (perhaps dryness) this season should see a widespread
growth of mushrooms? As they are mostly in lines I presume they are

growing
along tree roots. The lawn hasn't been mown for months because with no

rain
it hasn't been growing.

(3) Can anyone identify these mushrooms 100% accurately from the pictures?

would like to know if they are an edible crop before zapping the lawn with
the mower. However I don't want to die prematurely.

http://www.agarics.org/DatabaseAction.jsp?recordName='Field%20Mushroom'

This looks pretty close - they certainly smell 'mushroomy' instead of inky
or acid.

The challenge - to find someone in Suffolk who can identify it face to face.

We have enough for a few mushroom feasts or a very elaborate funeral.

If they are edible, how do we keep them cropping? The database says 'rich
soil' which doesn't really describe our back lawn. Fed it for the first time
for a while this year - could this have started something?

Cheers
Dave R