Old 22-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

Default Mushrooms!

The message
from "David W.E. Roberts" contains these words:

(3) Can anyone identify these mushrooms 100% accurately from the pictures? I
would like to know if they are an edible crop before zapping the lawn with
the mower. However I don't want to die prematurely.

Not from the pictures. They look like a species of Agaricus, but as
there are forty Agaricus species in the UK, without careful examination
of specimens by an expert you shouldn't try them in any quantity.

They are not one of the deadly species of mushroom, though it is just
possible that they could cause an upset stomach. (Two Agaricus species
can do that to one person in ten-ish.)

Those two can be identified very easily by cutting the bottom of the
stipe of a young specimen. If it turns strongly yellow *INSTANTLY*,
don't eat it.

If they don't turn yellow, in your shoes I would pick them and freeze
them, then find someone who can identify them for you. The British
Museum of Natural History (Dept of Mycology) used to do that, and
usually send a reply by return. Unfortunately that function has been
taken over by Kew Gardens, but my one letter to them (with s.a.e.) has
gone unanswered all summer and autumn, so I guess they're a dead loss.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk