Old 22-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Sad Sid

Default Toms & Straws in baskets

"Serendipity" wrote in message
Which medium do you grow your toms/strawberries in?

Mine were grown in ordinary general purpose compost, two plants per basket
plus a few trailing lobelia for visual effect.
I lined the baskets with locally gathered moss and Tesco carrier bags! Four
pellets of slow release fertiliser per basket and alternate daily tomato
food once they started producing.
The baskets were split between a pergola outside and the greenhouse ridge
(inside!)
The outside crop was good but not outstanding. The greenhouse crop was
simply amazing- we could have eaten ripe tomaoes in abundance every day from
these plants alone. The flavour was only surpassed by Marshall's
experimental plum. Shirleys and gardeners delight were given away in
abundance - they just couldn't match the flavour..
The greenhouse baskets are still delivering good sized and fully ripened
fruit right now - although if last night's frost is repeated they will
probably succumb.