Old 22-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Getting rid of ground elder

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Cat contains these words:

How do you get rid of ground elder's network of tough roots to be able
to plant spring flowering bulbs in a bed?

You're too late for weedkiller, but those roots really aren't tough;
just fork them out. Pick out any loose ends while they are fresh and
pale and easy to spot.
Don't compost them :-(

In my experience, that is useless. Every minuscule rootlet left below
ground level regrows with a vengeance.
Only glyphosate has really eradicated them in my previous garden.

My advice was in response to the OP's first question, the one which
you failed to address in your four posts to the thread. Glyphosate is
not an option to remove the roots *now*, since he has already removed
the GE leaves; digging and careful removal of root scraps is the only
other option available.

Janet