Old 23-10-2003, 12:32 AM
Janet Tweedy

Default Getting rid of ground elder

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes

My advice was in response to the OP's first question, the one which
you failed to address in your four posts to the thread. Glyphosate is
not an option to remove the roots *now*, since he has already removed
the GE leaves; digging and careful removal of root scraps is the only
other option available.

Janet

What about covering the ground with black Thingy and putting half grown
bulbs through the plastic later on Janet? If you mulched the ground
thickly as well you might get away with stopping the ground elder coming
through if a lot has been taken away.
I did try it on one bed of my vegetable area but sad to say the mulch is
now four foot tall and contains two carpet layers, two layers of very
thick newspaper and lots of grass clipping etc and STILL the ground
elder comes through.................

I even though about putting that chemical on the ground that stops ALL
germination for six months, as the area is useless for growing on in,
case I break any more roots of the weed. So I have a 14 foot square bed
that I haven't grown anything in save blackberries for about ten years

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph