Old 23-10-2003, 12:42 AM
Scott L. Hadley

Default OT - house spiders

Tell them to leave the earwigs alone. Interesting little creatures, and
remarkably domestic.

I perhaps have much to learn about both spiders and earwigs, both of
which are bothersome to me in both different and similar ways. I could
learn to enjoy or at least appreciate earwigs, as I think I finally
know they are harmless to me, except for the sheer numbers of them in
Dahlia blooms, for example, and in their day time hiding places. Once
disturbed, they boil out like a truly biblical infestation. In such
numbers there is an offensive smell, too.

But I remain willing to listen to any reasonable arguments in their
favor, as I have with spiders.

Where I live, Maine, US, after an especially deep penetration of frost
into the ground, several feet, sometimes, the following summer yields
fewer earwigs, since they brood in the soil. After a milder winter, or
with persistent deep snows, which can prevent the ground from
freezing, the following summer yields heavy broods.