Old 23-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Franz Heymann

Default my new toy

"Natalie" wrote in message

Flame gunning is a sheer waste of time. The roots simply regrow.

Not if you do it properly. The idea is simlpy to singe the top growth ,
you
have to do it more than once certainly, but eventually just as if you

kept
cutting it, the root dies too. It is a recognised organic way to treat

weeds
if you don't want to use chemicals.

Do you use it for the perennial weeds growing in the cracks in paths? We
have this problem at school and I'm getting extremely fed up pulling them

by
hand and I am totally against using chemicals.. It is impossible to get

all
the roots!

Natalie, you will be wasting your time. It is in precisely such an
application, namely to attempt to control weeds between the stones of a
terrace, that I came to the conclusion that the only good which comes from
it is the profit of the blowlamp and gas sellers.
Applying a glyphosate-based weedkiller involves almost no labour in
comparison with flame-gunning. It really kills the weeds stone dead, and
has no deleterious side effects, since it is effectively disabled almost
immediately after it enters the soil.

Franz