Old 23-10-2003, 01:22 PM
martin

Default Getting rid of ground elder

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:01:15 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , martin
writes
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:22:24 +0100, Nick Wagg
wrote:

Jane Ransom wrote:

In article , Kay Easton
writes

Have you *really* got giant hogweed? The ordinary one grows 5-6 ft. But
if giant, lucky you! -

Eh???????
It's one of these super weeds like JKN and is notifiable!!!

That's what I thought, but whom should we notify, please?

The HS&E.

Where did you get that bit of information from, please?

Google I didn't save the URL and I can't find it again.

Last time it was discussed in
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/showth...?threadid=8917
the local council appeared to be the place.

The scope of the ban is in
http://www.parliament.the-stationery...rittens-1.html
"Giant Hogweed
Mrs. Margaret Ewing : To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and
Industry whether he will take steps to ban the import and sale of
seeds of Heracleum Mantegazzianum.

Mr. Sainsbury [holding answer 22 October 1990] : No. There are
currently no plans to ban the import or sale of seeds of Heracleum
Mantegazzianum.

However, under section 14(2) of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981,
it is an offence for any person to plant or to otherwise cause to grow
in the wild any plant which is included in part 2 of schedule 9 to the
Act. Giant hogweed (Heracleum Mantegazzianum) is listed in the
schedule."

Details of section 14(2) of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 at
http://www.defra.gov.uk/paw/publications/law/5_1_7.htm

and for list of banned flora and fauna
http://www.defra.gov.uk/paw/publicat...w/appenda9.htm

it could be quite expensive having a garden or field full of giant
hogweed

http://www.defra.gov.uk/paw/publications/law/1_6.htm
--
Martin