Old 23-10-2003, 02:13 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

Default OT - house spiders

The message
from Scott L. Hadley contains these words:

But I remain willing to listen to any reasonable arguments in their
favor, as I have with spiders.

IIRC earwigs give birth viviporously, and certainly the young are tended
by the mother.

Multifortnights ago on the Isle of Lewis I found a large male earwig
with pincers as long as its abdomen. Since I was going to London not too
long afterwards I kept it and took it to the British Museum of Natural
History.

Finding my way to the entrails of the Dept of Entomology, I delighted
the Curator with the specimen: not so much the earwig itself, but by its
arrival alive. Most of their specimens arrive, she said, assassinated,
and often mounted.

To tell you the truth, I'd never thought of mounting my earwig as the
stirrups may have grounded from time to time. Besides, we'd developed
something of a relationship.

He was kept in vivo for breeding experiments, which I'm sure would have
pleased him no end. You could almost see the smile on his face....

It seems that it is not uncommon on islands to find these overendowed
earwigs, though all of their records so far were from much smaller
islands, such as Brownsea Island, a mere blop in (I think) Poole
Harbour. (Not Pearl Harbor.)

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk