Old 23-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Kay Easton

Default Getting rid of ground elder

In article , martin
writes
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:01:15 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , martin
writes
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:22:24 +0100, Nick Wagg
wrote:

Jane Ransom wrote:
Eh???????
It's one of these super weeds like JKN and is notifiable!!!

That's what I thought, but whom should we notify, please?

The HS&E.

Where did you get that bit of information from, please?

Google I didn't save the URL and I can't find it again.

Last time it was discussed in
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/showth...?threadid=8917
the local council appeared to be the place.

Thanks for the urls you posted - quite a helpful set.

But they merely put it on the same level as, eg, grey squirrel, and I
can just imagine the reaction of the local council if you phoned to
notify them you had grey squirrels in the garden ;-)

I know it's covered by the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, but that
just makes it illegal to release it into the wild. It doesn't make it
illegal to grow it - though if you were to grow it and allow it to set
seed, that would both be irresponsible and make it very likely you would
break the law.

But I can't find any suggestion anywhere that is notifiable - like
Colorado beetle used to be when I was young.

Mr. Sainsbury [holding answer 22 October 1990] : No. There are
currently no plans to ban the import or sale of seeds of Heracleum
Mantegazzianum.

And if it were notifiable they'd hardly allow the sale of seeds.

it could be quite expensive having a garden or field full of giant
hogweed

No. Not having a garden full - that is allowed. But if you let it spread
outside the garden it could indeed be expensive.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: