Old 23-10-2003, 06:02 PM
paghat

Default Nasturtium??? Common name?

In article , Sam wrote:

While I was down at HomeDepot, I asked several pelple from the garden
department for "nasturtium." They looked at me as if I was from Mars!
One of them actually pointed me to the vegetable section!!! I was
wondering if it goes by some "common" name that the HD people would
recognize!

Nasturtium is the common name, Tropaeolum the genus name, but everyone
who has gardened for even a week knows them as nasturtiums, being commonly
planted by eight year olds as one of the easiest & cheapest
instant-gratification flowers one can grow carefree from seeds. What you
have learned from your trip to Home Depot is their workers lack even the
expertise of an eight year old.

PS if anyone has a pic (or link with pic) handy, it would go a long
way! Because then, I can just show them the pick and say: this is what
I'm looking for! ;-)

http://www.paghat.com/nasturtium.html

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"