Old 23-10-2003, 06:02 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Mosquito Fish - pro & con?

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:43:22 GMT, (Steve J.
Noll) wrote:

I'm thinking about adding some Mosquito Fish (Gambusia affinis) to my
Koi pond for two reasons: to control the Koi population - I've heard
they will eat fish eggs - my pond is near it's capacity... and to
hopefully control the population of some very tiny caterpillars living
on the bottoms of my water lily leaves. I've had limited success
controlling the caterpillars with Bti & Btk and they are too small for
the Koi to see & eat.

What are the downsides to adding Mosquito Fish?

The downside is an upside for you, eating fish eggs. I had them for many
years in my ponds, but they slowly died out. Since they are surface
dwellers I think when I switched to a slow circulation to keep an opening
in the ice, it did them in. ~ jan
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a