Old 23-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Mommy Bartlo

Default Cut the buds off rose of sharon now in Zone 5?

Here in Mount Poocono the roses are still blooming nicely. If I could find
a girl for my son JoJo I'd be glad to have him give her the roses but he
doesn't seem very interested in girls.

he's in his 40's and still lives with me.

xoxoxo
--MommyBartlo--

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On 23 Oct 2003 08:43:58 -0700, (Karen)
wrote:

The rose of sharon in my garden had a beatiful display of flowers in
the late summer. Now there are hundreds of new buds forming in our
cold zone 5!!! I doubt it can come to flower in time before the
weather turns nasty. Should I pinch off the bud to save its energy to
prepair for winter? Or it doesn't hurt to leave them alone in case
they can bloom?

They are 4 years old, 6' tall and very healthy. Thy are located near
the house in a protected spot from wind. The weather is 5C high and 0C
low (40F and 32F)

Thanks.

Sounds strange. The leaves of my ROS are now turning yellow and
falling off, typical at this time of year. We have not had a good
frost yet. Perhaps they were recently fed? ROS bloom from the
current year growth, not last year. This is a good time to cut them
back for bushy, sturdy growth and more flowers for next year. You can
cut them back to 3 or 4 feet tall.