Old 23-10-2003, 10:42 PM
Kay Easton

Default Winter Growth

In article , DLee
writes
Hi All

What happens to ever green plants - e.g. connifers during the winter season?
Do they keep growing, or stop growing, maybe they keep grow but much slow
rate? Because although we say it is winter season, many times it can be
sunny and temp can reach 8 - 10 centigrade above zero during the afternoon.
This is my first winter ever - paying attention to what will happen to
plants. :-)

They seem to stop growing. In the spring you can see bright green
bunches of new growth at the end of the branches.

And also - softwoods (which are conifers) still have a grain pattern,
which is basically the annual growth rings.

Same applies to non-conifer evergreens, like holly.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: