Old 23-10-2003, 10:43 PM
Jim W

Default propagator or soil cable?

Janet Tweedy wrote:

I have now got electricity to my cold greenhouse. I don't intend to do
much more heating than just above freezing but I would like to put in
some SERIOUS propagators or at least a soil warming cable to strike
cuttings and possibly start off seeds in spring.
I've looked through the web and stuff like Two Wests catalogue and I
need advice.
Do I
a) buy a very large or even two electric propagators which are going to
set me back about £200 or

b) put in one of those large metal potting trays/stands then put in a
soil warming cable and fill with sharp sand and compost so I can strike
cuttings directly as I have been doing with two very large wooden boxes
up till now.

What does the team think? The greenhouse is an Alton cedar wood one.

I have two electric points

If you just want a bit of warmth to start stuff off and you aren;t going
to try anything that is 'too' fussy about exact temps, then I;d go for
the warming cables.. You can use these with a thermostat if you want
and the kit will cost you around 100 max.

/