Old 24-10-2003, 07:32 AM
Siberian Husky

Default How do I kill gnat eggs in indoor soil, organically?

Melissa wrote in message ...
I have some potted indoor plants and every time we water them, we see gnats
flying around the house afterwards. ( even in winter )

Is there an organic way to get rid of them? Like maybe garlic powder in the
water I give them? Something that will kill the eggs without harming me?

What about spraying the soil in the pots with rubbing alcohol?

I do not think this is a good idea, for long term. Rubbing alcohol
spraying might always leave blind spots, and I do not know what could
happen to your plants.

BT means Bacillus thuringiensis. Check out
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p...kgarden25.html
for more info. It basically kills worms and larvae.

I do not think cinamon powder dissolves in water -- if you have tried
sprinkling them over your Capuccino. They seem to tend to float on
the water.

If everything fails, I think you can try growing Pings beside your
indoor plants. Pings -- also known as butterwort (Pinguicula), is a
kind of carnivorous plant whose leaves act like living fly papers. I
used to grow my Pings in my office, and I do not know how effective it
is for gnats for homes, but I do not think it brings any negative
impacts either.