Old 24-10-2003, 07:32 AM
Martin Brown

Default Getting rid of ground elder

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Janet Tweedy writes:

| How disappointing ......... I thought the thread was referring to a
| solution on "getting rid of ground elder"!
|
| I don't think it matters what you douse the shoots or roots in, from
| napalm to undiluted acid. The things will still rear their healthy heads
| in the spring.

You can actually kill it off by repeated strimming for an entire season
provided that you never let any of its leaves see the light of day. It
doesn't grow at all well in close cropped lawns even when endemic under
hedges.

Well, I have done it in one year, using no chemicals, and using
that patch to the full :-)

I dug it over and removed as much as I could stand, and planted
potatoes. I dug up stray bits where I saw them. When I dug up
the potatoes, the ground was clear. Of course, the dry summer did
help - ground elder dislikes drought even more than potatoes do.

If someone can tell me how to get rid of bindweed ....

Same sort of way in a sandy soil. Weedkill, dig and sieve. Trouble with
bindweed is that there are so many seeds in the soil waiting to
germinate

I never had much trouble with the low growing pink form on clay soil. I
let some grow. The vigorous white climbing one is a menace though.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown