Old 24-10-2003, 09:42 AM
hermine stover

Default What looks best in Winter

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:08:31 -0400, "Bob Hardy"
wrote:

What temperate bamboos look best in winter, and maintain their foliage? I'm
particularly interested in what makes the best winter-time screen. We're
talking winter so I'm looking for responses from zones 5, 6 and 7. Thanks
for any info.

-------
Bob

I would at first, see what, if any, Bamboos have been already used in
your area. the growing of bamboo is still in its infancy in the USA
and thus, opportunities for experimentation abound. what you might do
is look up what parts of Japan and China have a climate with YOUR
winter. Our clients have grown some plants against our best most
conservative suggestions at temps which were far lower than the
official suggested minimums. what i would do is plant a variety of
Phyllostachys and see what performs best for you. Black bamboo is a
very transparent screen, by the way. it is lacy. P. bambusoides is a
more vigorous grower, with larger leaves and is often pictures in
woodcuts, bent almost double from the weight of snow and ice.