Old 24-10-2003, 10:12 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Winter Growth

In article m,
ken saunders writes:
| DLee wrote:
|
| What happens to ever green plants - e.g. connifers during the winter
| season?
| Do they keep growing, or stop growing, maybe they keep grow but much
| slow
| rate? Because although we say it is winter season, many times it can
| be
| sunny and temp can reach 8 - 10 centigrade above zero during the
| afternoon.
|
| ..............Dan, it's to do with light levels as well. The
| trees/shrubs probably go into hibernation.

Yes, precisely. In the UK, growth effectively stops in the winter
because the light levels are so low. Even the summer sun is pretty
weak in the UK, and the average amount of sunlight in December is
10% of that in June in the south and more like 5% in the far north.

This is why even houseplants don't grow much in the winter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.