Old 24-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Dutch irises

I'm not very good at getting them to bloom.

I knew this when I bought a big bag of 'Professor Blaauw' last year, so
I tried them in various locations:

- in longish grass among the daffs, then ignored

- in a very sunny terracotta pot right by the door, so I remembered to
feed and water regularly. Feed was mostly a special clematis food
because I happen to have a big box of it, and it says 'suitable for
other flowering plants'.

- in a southfacing bed against a low stone wall that gets a fair bit of
sun, but not as much early morning and evening sun as the pot. This got
a bit of chicken manure early in the year, and watering when I was
passing with the hose.

I got one flower from my pack of 50 (from one of the bulbs in the pot),
and a lot of very cheerful-looking long traily leaves...

I turned out the pot when the leaves died down, and the bulbs look great
- bigger than before, except for a couple that have divided.

It's now time to replant these bulbs for next year. Can you spot
anything I did wrong?

How you get a good show from Dutch irises?

My soil is very slightly acidic, light and stony. It's been a dry year,
but less so here than most places. Compost in the pot was a john innes
3 I think.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill