Old 24-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Bob Hardy

Default What looks best in Winter

Beecrofter wrote in message
om...
"Bob Hardy" wrote in message

news:jcZlb.90937$sp2.48314@lakeread04...
What temperate bamboos look best in winter, and maintain their foliage?

I'm
particularly interested in what makes the best winter-time screen.

We're
talking winter so I'm looking for responses from zones 5, 6 and 7.

Thanks
for any info.

-------
Bob

Here in Z6 CT a screen of P.bissetti, P. decora , and P. aureosulcata
does well all winter. The leaves will winterburn if you have
prolonged dry cold winds.
Mixing a few species keeps you from losing the screen should one
flower.

Thanks. Do the forms blend well? Decora seems more upright to me that the
other two. Maybe if I saw them together, they would be nearly
indistinguishable.

Flowering affects different bamboos differently. The result ranges from
complete death of the plant to no effect at all on the plant. I don't know
about the others, but you don't need to worry about P aureosulcata. It
flowers fairly frequently with no adverse effect.

-------
Bob