Old 24-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Winter pond

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Eshymouse" wrote in message
Hello

I wonder if someone can help me. We have a small pond in the garden

that
did
have 4 lovely goldfish in it. Over the summer they disappeared, not

sure
what
happened, and we assumed there was nothing in there. However, in

September
we
noticed 2 little beautiful black baby fish swimming merrily around.

They're
only about 2 inches long. My question is what do we do over the

winter?
Do
fish
need feeding in the winter or do we leave them?

Any help gratefully received.

Just break the ice regularly so as to expose some of the surface of the
water to the air.

Franz

Don't break the ice - the shock waves could kill them.
I did a similar dumb thing and stunned a number of our fish - and I should
know better as I was once a Marine Biologist.
Hi-tech way is to get a pond heater - just a small heater which floats in

foam collar - which keeps an area clear of ice.
Lo-tech way is a bucket of hot water to melt a hole in the ice now and

then.

Yes. Actually I used to use a blowlamp to make a hole throught the ice. It
worked.

Franz