Old 24-10-2003, 11:04 PM
jane

Default Toms & Straws in baskets

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 08:19:53 +0100, "Sad Sid" .
wrote:

~
~"Steve Harris" wrote in message
~ In article ,
~ (Kate Morgan) wrote:
~
~ Tumbling Toms
~
~ Please can I clarify if that's the complete full name of the variety-
~ "Tumbling Toms"? Is it the same as "Tumbler"? Who is the supplier?
~
~Most of the seed catalogues include a variety of Tumbling Tom under various
~names. Yes, it is the same as "Tumbler" as supplied by Marshalls.

Um, are you sure about that? Suttons sells *both* Tumbler and Tumbling
Tom, and when they launched Tumbling Tom about 2 years ago one of
their quotes was it was better than Tumbler. So they are definitely
two varieties.

I tried TT that first year, got a terrible crop and went back to
Tumbler. I also love the shape of these tomatoes - they have little
pointed ends so the cross section lengthways is heart-shaped. One of
my work colleague has been growing Tumblers for years, and she tried
some of the Tumbling Toms and had the same experience as me.

I now get Tumbler seed from DTBrown as you get 10 for £1.85 as against
Suttons' 7 for £1.99.

Suttons' Tumbling Tom (both red and yellow) are 22 seeds for £2.29.
They can keep 'em in my (limited) experience.

~
~ Also, is it a bushy bush or does it sprawl?
~
~It sprawls, with masses of fruit cascading down around the basket. I put
~blue and white Lobelia in with mine - very patriotic!

I am a bit lax in watering my Tumblers, and still find I get a silly
crop. I've got them in baskets on the shed, one almost totally muffled
by a clematis tangutica which thinks it's a mile a minute. I have had
to excavate the tomatoes... :-) and yes, they were still going as of
last weekend before the frost.

--
jane

Mark Twain