Old 25-10-2003, 03:32 AM
Iris Cohen

Default [IBC] Dying Red Maple

My next door neighbor is moving and she has a 3-3 1/2' Red Maple and it is
not growing nor doing anything, in fact It has only one red leaf on it at the
present. It seems to be dying, question.. If we dug it up and cropped it back
to where the live leaf is, and trimmed the roots, might it then grow as a
Bonsai?
Zone 9 North of Houston

I presume by red maple, you mean Japanese maple, Acer palmatum. Is anyone in
your area growing this species successfully? I suspect it cannot grow iwell n
your climate. This is not the time to try to put it in a bonsai pot. If you
want to try saving it, prune it lightly and replant it in the shade, in good,
slightly acid garden soil, with a lot of peat moss or compost mixed in. Keep it
well watered. If it lives, keep it in the nursery bed for a couple more years,
pruning as instructed in the bonsai books. Then if it is vigorous, you can
consider growing it as a bonsai.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."