Old 25-10-2003, 11:32 AM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Vine weevils and garden chafer larvae

"danread" wrote in message
s.com...
hello,

my name is Daniel Read and I am doing a PhD at Cardiff Universtiy. The
topic i am investigating is the sustainable use of nematode
biopesticides within soil ecosystems. For this i need to obtain a
relatively large number of vine weevil larvae (Otiorhynchus sulcatus)
and Garden chafer larvae (phyllopertha horticola). Does anyone have any
suggestions as to where abouts i may begin collecting these from? i
dont have access to my own garden, so it makes collecting problematic.
If anyone has infestations of these organisms, i would be very grateful
if they could send me any they may have. I will recompensate postage
and packing. My address is:

Daniel Read
Cardiff School of Biosciences
Main Building
Museum Avenue
PO Box 915
Cardiff CF10 3TL

and e-mail is .

A cynical word of caution :-)
I would recommend that anyone contemplating sending boxes of vine weevils to
the postal address first write (not email) to confirm that this is a genuine
request.
Students sometimes have an unusual sense of humour :-)))

Cheers
Dave R

P.S. Isn't it a bit late in the year to find active vine weevil? Getting
frosty most places.
This could be a major problem for a University project - by the time there
is a good supply it will be near the end of the academic year.