Old 25-10-2003, 02:03 PM
martin

Default Getting rid of ground elder

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 12:48:10 +0100, Malcolm Ogilvie
wrote:

In article , martin
writes
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 11:05:22 +0100, Malcolm Ogilvie
wrote:

In article , martin
writes
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 18:23:44 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , martin
writes

If you google search hard enough and long enough you will find a DEFRA
.pdf file AFAIR that explains what action and against whom is to be
taken against those growing Giant Hog weed. In the case of private
individuals growing it, who refuse to remove it, a civil action may be
taken against them by the local authority.

That is if they are allowing it to be released into the wild.

No!

Yes!

Please read the Act and the commentary again:

Here is the Act:

"Section 14(2)
It is an offence for a person to plant or otherwise cause to grow
in the wild any plant on Schedule 9 (Part 2)"

I think the problem is that the plant part was tacked onto an animal
act. Releasing into the wild has a clear meaning with animals and a
not so clear meaning with plants.

Does that mean you agree with me???

that the law is unclear? yes :-)

from the site that listed prosecutions under that act, it's clear
anybody growing it, isn't likely to be prosecuted, unless as a test
case. :-)

Can you give me the links to the whole act and it's various
amendments.

You gave the links yourself.

I think bits of some of them.

Just click on 'Contents' at the foot of the
page. That's by far the most accessible version with its commentaries.

I couldn't find all the amendments.

Or if you want to read the whole Act, as published, you can find it on:

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/

I see we haven't made the top 5 most requested acts ... yet :-)

Do many people cultivate hog weed in Uk gardens?

If you mean *giant* hogweed, I know at least two, both of whom like it
for its grandeur and looks, but are careful (a) not to touch it without
gloves and (b) let it escape.

Having read all the stuff about the unintentional spread of GM
plants, and seen giant hog weed growing along miles of grass verges,
how can you be careful not to let it escape? Why does it appear some
years and not others?

--
Martin