Old 25-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default Advice on courses for Landscape design ......

"John T. Jarrett" wrote in message
I live in Texas -- where only three schools even have landscape
architecture degree programs...and none of them are in major
cities...or even close to the two major cities I've lived my
post-bachelors degree life in.

Considering Texas is roughly the size of Afganistan, commuting seems
to be right out.

Oh, yeah, and I have two kids, too.

I feel for you, sub sonic! And let me know if you do come across an
accredited program somewhere. Shoot, just getting an irrigator's
license at this point would be a good start...

John
now in Houston, Texas

Well, gosh golly darn, John - how bad do you want to pursue a course of
study in horticulture/landscaping or even as an irrigation installer? A
quick Google search turned up at least 18 colleges or community colleges in
Texas offering degree programs in this field, including Houston Community
College, which has gotta be somewhat close to you, being in the same city
and all. (I know Texas is big, but come on - you can commute across town,
right?)

You don't have to apply to a 4 year university for a degree in landscape
architecture (and I doubt they will be of much help getting your irrigator's
license, besides) to become a landscape designer/contractor or
horticulturist and the two courses of study serve different purposes and
address different needs anyway. The training is out there, if you want it or
can be bothered to look for it, and a hands-on, in person, degreed program
is going to get you much farther faster than anything available by
correspondence or online.

pam - gardengal