Old 26-10-2003, 03:02 PM
JennyC

Default Tree of Heaven

"Britannica" wrote in message

Our neighbours have a 'Tree of Heaven' which has produced several
suckers on the roadside verge on the outside of their garden wall.
What is the best time and method to "rescue" some of these treelets

?

They are doomed anyway - as the council strip the verge of

vegetation
to within an inch of the soil in June/July and to hell with the
wildlife that lives in it.

The parent tree is becoming a bit straggly, it hasn't been pruned

for
at least three years - does it need regularly pruning to flourish or
will it survive without ?

Thanks ß

Most sites I found seem to describe it as a bit of a brute !! So I
imagine it's pretty tough and you could hack of a few of the suckers
now and they would probably survive :~))

here are a couple of sites which think its a weed......
http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/esadocs/ailaalti.html
http://www.biology.duke.edu/bio217/bmm10/heaven.htm

Jenny