Old 26-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

Default Mist propagation

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Not much ;~)) It does keep the top of the cutting cool which helps in
the summer.

How does the mist keep it cool? Since the local air is saturated, there
cannot be much by way of cooling evaporation (after all, this is what the
mist is supposed to stop).

It doesn't: it just prevents the cutting drying out.

The maxim was 'cool tops/warm bottoms'. A big problem with
the plastic bag or closed propagator approach is the high temperstures
you get with even a small amount of sunshine - the cuttings get cooked
quite easily.

But one does not keep the covered cuttings in straight sunshine. Mine are
always kept agains a North facing wall or suchlike until they have rooted.

That's my approach. Either that or as I don't have a north-facing wall,
shade them.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk