Old 02-02-2003, 09:16 PM
Scopata Fuori

Default 30 Roses To Start A Garden With

"Bob Bauer" wrote in message
I get asked the question every once in a while "If you were to start
over again, which roses would you put into your first new rose
garden?"

My list would be:

Low growing shrubs and polyanthas:

Bonica (the NEW version)
The Fairy
China Doll

Hybrid Teas:

Gemini 2
Stainless Steel 2
Peace (of course!) 1
Oranges and Lemons 2
Sea Pearl 2
Full Sail 2
Long Tall Sally 2
Veteran's Honor 2
Climbing New Dawn 1
Electron 1
Double Delight 2
Adolf Horstman 2

Minis:

Red Cascade (Climber) 1
Miss Flippins 2

This would give me a balance of colors, sizes, heights, and bloom habit,
while minimizing known blackspot magnets and emphasizing vigor, hardiness,
resistance and overall liveliness.

Full Sail is a constant bloomer for me, as is Stainless Steel and Gemini.
Although Gemini is classed as a HT, it acts like a floribunda. But then, I
don't pinch buds, and rarely cut for the table. I prefer to see them in
their more natural state in the garden. I deadhead, but only cut them for
special occasions or for other people's enjoyment.

Of course, this 30 would increase in spurts and gushes as rose catalogs
arive in the mail, as I stop at nurseries, and rescue the moribund from
Walmart's rose hell.

Scopata Fuori