Old 27-10-2003, 06:32 AM
Robert

Default planting raspberries - in peat ?

: Hi all,
:
: I have prepared a site for some Autumn Bliss raspberries for the first
: time this year. I was surprised to see Dr. Hessayon in his "Fruit
: Expert" advise a half topsoil / half peat planting mixture. He says
: this is to prevent some kind of "shock" when moving into 100% topsoil.
:
: Does anyone have experience of planting Autumn Bliss or any other kind
: of raspberry, for that matter ? I wonder if the peat is essential ? I
: don't actually know where I'd get some from if it was, or if there is
: now an alternative.
:
: I'd really appreciate some advice on this subject, and where better to
: turn than this group of experts ?
:
: Thanks in advance
:
: Tim

No it's not necessary at all. I've grown raspberries for years and always
planted them straight into the soil. A bit of bonemeal mixed in will help
the roots establish and a top dressing of manure or compost will get them
off to a flying start. Then they will spread wherever you let them go