Old 27-10-2003, 07:23 AM
Franz Heymann

Default Mist propagation

"Mike Hunter" wrote in message

[snip]

I've read that by slightly over-misting, the water runoff from the leaves
removes fungal spores.

This sounds like wishful thinking.
Surely, if there are spores around in the air, the mist is as likely to trap
spores in the air and deposit them on the leaf.

Over-misting is achieved either by a timer which runs after the

"electronic
leaf" has indicated saturation or by moving the sensor to the extreme of

the
mist distance so that it is saturated last. The timer method is preferred

as
being more consistent.

Since the aim is to have near-continuous 100% humidity a "buoyant
atmosphere" seems unlikely. The action of the misting nozzles will,

however,
stir up the air a bit.

I still don't have a clue as to what might be meant by a "bouyant
atmosphere"

The water to the mister nozzle(s) will normally be considerably cooler

than
the air temperature and so will cool the plants whilst the mister is
actually operating. Covered/closed systems controlled only by an

electronic
leaf may experience severe temperature cycling.

None of the above is from my own practical experience. I was considering
making a mister but got drawn into rebuilding the kitchen since when the
garden has gone to rack and ruin. Got a bumper crop of Cape Gooseberries
though - they seemed to thrive on lack of attention!.

I suspect that you have decided on the more productive dourse of action.
That is, unless you are a professional nurseryman who has to produce
thousands of cuttings of a kind.

Franz