Old 27-10-2003, 08:17 AM
Charlie Pridham

Default Mist propagation

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
Mist propagation was mentioned in another thread quite recently. That
triggered me into asking something I have always wanted to know:

What does mist propagation do which cannot be done by inverting a
transparent container over the cutting?
I have always thought that the purpose of either action is simply to
maintain an atmosphere which is as nearly as possible fully saturated with
water vapour in order to minimise evaporation from the surfaces of the
leaves.

Franz

The best way of rooting things is indeed 100% humidity but cuttings also
respond to cool tops and warm bottoms, with a sealed container it is very
difficult to achieve, although some gardeners I know achieve good results
with a dew point cabinet, however the main advantage of mist is the almost
complete absence of fungal problems such as botrytus
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk