Old 27-10-2003, 09:32 AM
Nick Gray

Default Soil sterilisers

"Guy Gorton" wrote in message
I am not new to Usenet, but entirely new to this ng.

I need ideas on where to find a soil steriliser. The Two Wests and
Elliott catalogue includes two, and there is a quite different one on
CMS Gardens website. I would like to see more choice and understand a
bit better how they work.
As we have upwards of 50 containers from large (2 compost bags to make
an impression!) to fairly small, we have a lot of spent compost at
this time of year, quite a lot of it infested with vine weevil. I
hate wasting it, but cannot put it on the garden in its infected
state.
I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Guy Gorton

Hi Guy,

You could use a wallpaper steamer, either domestic if you have one or hire
an industrial sized one for your large amount of compost.

Alternatively spread the compost out and water with dilute Jeyes fluid.

If the only problem that you have with the compost is Vine Weevil, PBI
produce Provado which should sort out your problem. I think nematodes are
also available.

For more information on dealing with Vine Weevil see -
http://www.vine.weevil.org.uk/

Hope that this helps.

Cheers

Nick