Old 27-10-2003, 12:22 PM
Steve Harris

Default planting raspberries - in peat ?

In article ,
(Robert) wrote:

No it's not necessary at all.

What I think IS necessary is taking heed of Hassayon's basic idea - that
plants that have spent time in a container need something LIKE his
"planting mixture" between the soil and the root "ball".

When I started gardening a couple of years ago, I put several shrubs
straight in the soil. When I pulled up the dying plants recently, there
was a very dense lump of roots the shape of the original container.

If you can't find peat locally (Try Wilkinsons), use some sort of
compost instead in preparing "planting mixture"