Old 27-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default Honeysuckle

"pixi" wrote in message
I have a honeysuckle vine, Harlequin. It has beautiful pink flowers and
blooms all summer with the most wonderful smell.

It is my habit to sit on my deck in the early morning to drink my coffee

and
watch the birds. And this honeysuckle, especially just after dawn throws
off this wonderful, wonderful aroma.

I would like to find its equivalent in a shrub, not a vine. Does anyone
know of such a honeysuckle and where I can get it.

Thanks a bunch
Pixi

There are quite a few varieties of shrub honeysuckle and many of them do
produce fragrant but insignificant flowers, but they all tend to be large,
sprawling plants.
Lonicera pileata, nitida or fragrantissima are some of the most common shrub
forms. Other species are also available but many are discouraged as
ornamentals due to their selfseeding/invasive nature.

You might want to consider something like a daphne - most have incredible
fragrance and are rather tidy shrubs with no propensity to overtake the
world.

pam - gardengal