Old 27-10-2003, 05:22 PM
Steve Harris

Default planting raspberries - in peat ?

In article . 12,
(Victoria Clare) wrote:

My suspicion about your shrubs focusses on wetness

My soil is very free-draining sand, we've just had a very dry summer and
I've watered them about twice.

You can tease the roots out when you plant to encourage them to go out
rather than round and round. I used to do this, but now I rarely
bother, and it seems to make no difference.

These roots grew prolifically but would not leave the original pot
compost area. The result was a tough mass of root material in the shape
of the original pot that came away from the surrounding soil without
much effort.