Old 27-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default HELP...grass seeding

"Peter" wrote in message ...
The intention was to spread the manure over existing dirt/clay and then

till
it all together. I'm no expert but the land had wild grass and weeds

growing
on it before I started the project. It all went south once the machinery
packed the top layer too hard (approx 50% of the area) so the tiller could
not mix the manure with the dirt anymore. Even when the tiller managed to
break some test areas the chunks are very hard. Will I have any luck
breaking up the hard shell in the spring once the ground is more moist of
will watering help?

To develop and maintain a healthy lawn, you need a seed bed of at least 6
inches of loose, rich soil. If a rototiller cannot break through the
compacted clay, new grass roots certainly cannot. I'd spread as much aged
compost/manure as you can manage - 6-8 inches - leave it overwinter and then
till it into the clay in spring. Between the activity of the worms and other
soil organisms overwinter and rainfall, you should be able to till it in
well next spring.

pam - gardengal