Old 27-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Mary Fisher

Default Fox's aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhh

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 240.10...
"Mary Fisher" wrote in
t:

"oldmolly" wrote in message
news

"Jason Pope" wrote in message
Erm, you could be opening yourself up to legal problems!
If someone was to come on your property and get shocked you could
be

sued!

How do you imagine land owners all over the country manage? People
who keep
livestock have electric fences.If someone comes onto *my* property,
and tries to get through what is obviously an electric fence, and get
shocked, how could they sue me?

Because in English law you have a duty of care towards a trespasser.

Fine, but we are not talking about something that kills human beings on
contact!

Hey! I didn't say that anyone would be sensible to sue, just replying to a
question :-)

Everything you say is right.

Mary

What you said:

A standard stockproof electric fence will cause you to jump backwards
and go 'ow!' if you touch it. It will not burn you or kill you.

Someone in this thread has alleged that someone with a pacemaker might
feel more serious effects, but that's a tiny proportion of the
population, that tend to lead fairly sedate and law-abiding lives.

(I'm not entirely convinced anyway: presumably pacemakers need to have a
certain amount of resilience, at least to 'static'? Would a pacemaker
owner really be killed by a mild shock?)

The legal risks of, say, owning a car which you might accidentally drive
into someone, or a dog, which might bite someone, strike me as much
greater than those of installing a humble electric fence in your garden.

Victoria