Old 27-10-2003, 07:33 PM
Fred

Default Air stone use?

On 10/26/03 9:25 AM, in article 3sTmb.26150$275.37887@attbi_s53,
"RichToyBox" wrote:

If you are going to use air stones, then you will also need to have a pump
to run the air stones. The small aquarium air pumps with the appropriate
aquarium air stone is sufficient. If you were able to smell anaerobic
odors, then I would suspect that you have a layer of debris on the bottom
that is several inches thick. If this is the case, you will need to remove
that debris with a vacuum or fine net. A larger pump or an air stone won't
do much to help with the problems associated with thick layers of debris.
Before stirring up the layer of debris and releasing the hydrogen sulfide
gas, which is very toxic to the fish, you need to add some potassium
permanganate to the pond to neutralize the H2S.

I checked but didn't find a layer of debris on the bottom - a very slight
film, but microns thick at best. What I do have is a carpet of lily roots
extending out from their baskets and exploring the pond bottom. Could these
trap the gases and cause the odor? If so, how can I "clean up" a root
system?

Mind you, the odor isn't emanating from the pond, but only when I bring
something out of the water, like the hyacinths in my original post. Anyway,
in my checking for debris I did stir up the bottom a bit - I hope I didn't
cause any toxicity problems.

Thanks for the advice,

Fred