Old 27-10-2003, 08:03 PM
zeek

Default Tank Top Question

For your question on lighting... you could always go open-top if you
don't plan on having fishes which are prone to jumping. I think the
open-top adds another dimension to the aquaria to enjoy, especially
when plants produce flowers above the waterline.
Otherwise you could have some tempered glass custom-cut at any glass
places which offer it. At one time I was using a top, and had some
glass cut for me. It wasn't cheap... a 2'x9"x1/2" tempered with a
beveled edge cost me about sixty bucks, and I need two of them! (sizes
approximate, I don't remember exact) Today they're sitting in my
attic, lights hung from the ceiling. It's a much more appealing look.

As for your setup, I strongly recommend you reconsider your choice of
substrate. The fact that your are a self-proclaimed "Planted Tank
Newbie" is the reason I suggest it. Soil substrates are best left to
those who are more experienced with planted setups; and even then it's
an arguable point at that! I would suggest either 100% flourite or a
mix of flourite and gravel if money is a concern. After you get a few
years of experience and lots of reading you can always re-visit the
idea of a soil based substrate. This is especially true if you go 100%
flourite instead of a mix because it will be easier to reuse with the
soil later on.

I've had a planted setup for about five years now... About a year ago
I converted my substrate to flourite and soil (with heating cables).
So far it's been a very positive experience -- but I'm glad I did not
attempt a soil substrate with my first planted tank. Beleive me, it's
not for the faint of heart!

Best of luck
Isaac

joe wrote in message ...

75 Gallon show tank
40 pounds of Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil (about 2.5 inches deep)
60 pounds of inert gravel on top (1/2 to 1 inch deep)
Some sort of nutrient balls to be installed with plants
Fluval 404 filter
300W titanium heater
240W of lighting in 4 foot tubes (2 grow-lites, 2 daylights, 2 full
spectrum lights)
CO2 compressed setup coming soon with home-built in-line reactor

Thanks!

Tim - Planted Tank Newbie
Replies to , please, or to the group