Old 27-10-2003, 08:23 PM
Kay Easton

Default Swiss Cheese Plant advice requested

In article m, Bry
writes

Anyway, would a cheese plant grow outside?

No.

I've never seen them
outside, but aparently a lot of garden experts are saying you can even
grow a yucca outside now, which was once considered an indoors-only
plant like swiss cheese plants are.

I can remember outdoor yuccas from when I was a kid.

Yes, winters are a bit warmer now, but it won't make a dramatic
difference - what you'll be seeing is that things that are occasionally
cut down by frost will survive every winter, and things which died back
in winter now may have the odd winter that they survive. And plants
which need a good summer to set a crop will do so more often. Swiss
Cheese (Monstera) is a rain forest plant, and we haven't reached rain
forest temperatures yet ;-)

It's not just a matter of heat - lack of light (short days, low sun
angle) and wetness in winter also affect whetehr plants will survive.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: