Old 27-10-2003, 09:32 PM
pixi

Default Honeysuckle

I know there are many kinds of honeysuckle shrubs. I even have some, but
they bloom only in the spring. I would like to have a honeysuckle that
blooms all summer as the Harlequin does and that smells as lovely.

So many of the modern honeysuckles have no smell at all.
Outrageous!!

I live in what is considered to be a semi-arid area of the Potomac Highlands
in WV. Usually we get comparatively little rain. I have heard that the
last time we have had as much rain as in this year was 1901. However, most
years we don't get a lot.

I cannot grow azaleas here, partly because of the dryness but mostly because
of the bitter winds. I live on a hill in a valley between two mountains.
The valley acts as a windtunnel in winter for some reason. I have tried
wrapping azaleas in burlap, buying those that were developed in Wisconsin
for growing there and so on. No luck. I had dozens, only one is left
alive.

They do grow azaleas in town, but I think they succeed because they are more
or less sheltered from the wind by houses and other buildings.

I don't know about daphne. I am not sure we can grow it here. (Zone 5).
Although we are in WV, our weather is comparable to much further north. It
was 23 below at least one night last winter. I blame that on the
elevation.

So, I am still looking for a Honeysuckle shrub that behaves like my
Harlequin honeysuckle.

Pixi
"pixi" wrote in message
I have a honeysuckle vine, Harlequin. It has beautiful pink flowers and
blooms all summer with the most wonderful smell.