Old 27-10-2003, 10:02 PM
joe

Default Tank Top Question

Zeek and Dave...

Everything I have read supported Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil as a good
medium. It is nothing more than clay ground into a nice consistancy for
plant roots. For every bad posting I found 10 good ones (and the bad
ones were typically about water chemistry changes which were
non-repeatable or the light nature of the stuff, which is resolved with
the gravel layer on top). My Profile under gravel mix seemed to be the
most succesful and highly recommended conbination. As far as real
'potting soil' (dirt based stuff), I agree...not a good starter's choice.

Now, if money wasn't an issue, I would have bought Flourite. I don't
think anyone would disagree that it is the 'growing medium of choice'.
I just need to keep my startup costs down.

I am going to use Laterite balls for added nutrient support in the soil
under the plants that require it, and of course, water column additives
as well.

Thanks for the feedback!

Tim

Dave Millman wrote:

zeek wrote:

As for your setup, I strongly recommend you reconsider your choice of
substrate. The fact that your are a self-proclaimed "Planted Tank
Newbie" is the reason I suggest it. Soil substrates are best left to
those who are more experienced with planted setups; and even then it's
an arguable point at that! I would suggest either 100% flourite or a
mix of flourite and gravel if money is a concern. After you get a few
years of experience and lots of reading you can always re-visit the
idea of a soil based substrate. This is especially true if you go 100%
flourite instead of a mix because it will be easier to reuse with the
soil later on.

I've had a planted setup for about five years now... About a year ago
I converted my substrate to flourite and soil (with heating cables).
So far it's been a very positive experience -- but I'm glad I did not
attempt a soil substrate with my first planted tank. Beleive me, it's
not for the faint of heart!

Everyone listen to Zeek on this one. I've been into planted tanks for two years
and I still would never repeat the soil mistake I made when starting out.
Flourite is wonderful.