Old 27-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Elliot Richmond

Default What's digging holes in my yard?

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:20:06 GMT, animaux
wrote:

The insects you describe are probably cicada killers. They look like giant wasps
or bees and make holes, which lead to dens where they lay their eggs and insert
a cicada for the larvae to feed on till it is morphed into a flying cicada
killer.

Yep, cicada killers, most likely Sphecius grandis. I did not want to
get technical. Cicada killers rarely dig in healthy turf. they prefer
well drained, loose, sandy soil. And they are completely harmless
except that they can sting but rarely do, unless you step on one or
try to catch one in your bare hand.

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor