Old 28-10-2003, 02:32 AM
Jim Elbrecht

Default What is this?

On 26 Oct 2003 15:19:01 -0700, Melissa wrote:

I saw a plant growing in a xeriscape area around early September, that had
very pretty white trumpet shaped flowers that were about 6" long! They were
stunning. The plant also had large irregularly shaped leaves. It was in
northwest Denver. I'm not sure if it was a annual or perennial but it sort of
seemed like a perennial. It was a maybe 3' tall bush.

Here's another photo of a Datura [Stramonium] plant
http://www.channel3000.com/news/1700361/detail.html
[good images of leaves & seedpod at
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/~sforza/weeds/datst.html ]

This one is also called Jimsonweed, or Locoweed. Kids eat the seeds
to get high. . . some die. . . many are hospitalized nearly every
year in this area. [upstate NY] More stats at
http://www.usdoj.gov/ndic/pubs/579/avail.htm

It is a shame because I'd really like to plant some because it is a
very striking plant. The leaves look like oversized oak leaves of a
deep green; the flowers are huge trumpets of white; and the seed pod
is very interesting prickly affair.

The first one I saw was planted in a public garden & disappeared just
as the seed pods became ripe.

Jim